Friday, June 06, 2008

is this Karma??

When Cam first started pre-school, before he was diagnosed (and even after), parents of other kids were really cruel to us, they wouldn't let their kids play with Cam because he was  'difficult', 'naughty', 'loud', and it was just too hard to take him for face value.

One mother,  in particular used to stand out, If Cam made a friend, she made it her business to tell the parents  that Cam was 'different' and then they would all fall by the wayside. Of course, she would let her child come to Cam's birthday parties if they were at fun places etc, but not if they were at home, she even went so far as to tell people that her child wouldn't go to parties if Cam was invited, therefore Cam was never invited to parties, because her son, was the most popular boy in primary school.

We never took much notice of this woman, I never classed her as a friend and Cam felt the same way of her son, so life was cruisy where we were concerned (although in saying that,  i must have taken a little notice because sometimes i wanted to slap that smug look off her face..there is one in every crowd I'm sure).

When we decided to send Cam to his high school, I couldn't believe it, when this woman decided to send her son to the same one! I had a discreet word with the principal asking if this particular boy not be in Cam's class, the principal was shocked because the mother had requested her son be in with Cam as he knew nobody at the school, I stuck to my guns and said NO I want Cam to make friends on his own without using primary school friends as back up!!! (good tactic on my part!)

Last night, at work, this particular mother came into the store, I was on the door checking bags and she made a beeline straight for me like some long lost old school friend. I was a little standoffish and she asked me how Cam was enjoying the new high school. SO I matter of factly told her that he was going great, told her where he was at with his ASD etc and waited. She said that was marvelous,  and then she said..I'm going through exactly the same thing you know..(points to her daughter) she's just been diagnosed with ADHD and possibly Asperger's, I thought of you straight away and knew you would speak to me about it and help me through this.

HMMMMM oh yes, there was a lot i wanted to say to this woman. but I just looked at her and said..I'm more than happy to share my last 8 years (primary school)  of hell with you, but there is one thing you have to bear in mind and it's going to be the hardest thing for you to deal with..

"go on' she said...

SO I then smile and say..."It's not going to be easy, your going to have really bad days and some good days, but the biggest hurdle your going to come across, is ignorant parents, who will ostracize her because firstly, they don't understand ASD and secondly, they think they are right. IF you can deal with them, you can deal with anything".

and all the while she just stood there, nodding and saying ahh yes, we've had that happen!!

In saying all that, I certainly would not wish ASD upon anyone certainly not her daughter, BUT, I remember a conversation I had with a friend of mine, whose twins were in Cam's class and also had a few learning difficulties (and also with this parent), and I remember saying to her, "You know, I wish she could walk in our shoes, just to see what it feels like to be us!"

And , last night I felt really sorry for her as a mother of a child with ASD, I told her I was there if she needed to talk ,even though, in the back of my mind, I just kept thinking "well now you'll know how you made me feel. I hope your proud of yourself"

God works in mysterious ways, Call it Karma, call it retribution (heck some may call it revenge), I don't know what to call it, but Karma will do!!!!

1 comment:

Nik said...

OMG Tess...I can not believe the nerve of her to ask you for help..After all she did...

I completely take my hat off to you though for being the bigger person and giving her the information..

Huggs Babe!!!